In last month’s blog we discussed healthy eating habits during your pregnancy. In this blog we will be discussing the other piece of the puzzle when it comes to staying healthy during your pregnancy, and that is exercise. Exercise is important for everyone, and pregnant women are no exception. The average pregnant woman should aim for around two and a half hours of exercise every week; we suggest spreading this out throughout the week. At our Sarasota obstetrics clinic it is our goal to help you and your baby to be healthy during and after your pregnancy, which is why we have come up with this list of the benefits of regular exercise during pregnancy:
- Exercise could help you to be better prepared for labor, and women who are physically fit tend to recover more quickly.
- Exercise will make it easier for you to get back to a healthy weight after you deliver.
- Exercise can help to fight off some of the most uncomfortable parts about being pregnant, including backaches, exhaustion, constipation and even varicose veins.
- Regular exercise will help you sleep better at night!
- Pregnant Women who regularly exercise tend to have better self esteem, as well as a lower risk of anxiety and depression.
These are just a few of the many benefits of regularly exercising while you are pregnant. However, it is important to remember to consult your doctor before starting any new exercise routine. This is an important rule to follow whether you were active before your pregnancy or not. Your doctor will be able to suggest a fitness plan that is safe for both you and your new baby.