Hot flashes are a common part of menopause, but just because they are common, it doesn’t make them any easier to live with. Hot flashes can go along way to disrupting your sleep and your everyday life. Luckily, there are a lot of thing that you can do to make dealing with your hot flashes easier. The following is a list of tips from our OBGYN in Venice on how to battle your hot flashes:
- Know your triggers- Lots of different things can trigger hot flashes, including spicy foods, stress, tight clothes, alcohol, caffeine, smoking, and more. When you understand what triggers your hot flashes, you can avoid those activities all together.
- Wear layers- By layering your clothes, you can easily adjust your outfit based on how you are feeling at the moment. This is a great idea, even if it is cold out.
- Change your lifestyle- Being healthier all around can go along way to reducing the amount of hot flashes that you have, as well as the severity. So ensure that you are regularly exercising and eating a balanced diet.
- Keep ice water with you- Many women find that sipping ice water during the onset of a hot flash can help to minimize the severity. So, it is a good idea to keep a bottle of ice water with you at all times.
- Keep it cool- Hot flashes tend to last longer and are more intense at night, so make sure that your room is on the cooler side when you go to bed. It is also a good idea to trade in your flannel PJs and sheets for something lighter, like cotton.