At University Park Obstetrics and Gynecology, we are proud to say that soon, we will have a certified midwife on our team here in Sarasota. Although many women all over the world have utilized a midwife for the delivery of their babies, many people still don’t know exactly what a midwife is!
What is a midwife?
Although obstetricians provide care for mother and babies, traditionally, this care is provided by midwives. Midwives are trained and certified health care professionals who specialize in supporting women throughout pregnancy, labor and recovery. What makes midwives unique from other health care professional is their individualized care. Midwives not only provide physical support to moms and babies, they are there to provide emotional support as well.
What do midwives do?
Although midwives are best known for their care and support of women during labor and delivery, there are many other services that can be provided by a midwife. The following is a list of some of the things that a midwife can do for you:
- They can perform gynecological exams.
- They can help formulate birth plans.
- They can provide women with prenatal care.
- They can assist during labor.
- They can provide guidance with breastfeeding and other issues regarding newborn care.
- They can provide support during the postpartum period.
- They can support women going through menopause.
Now that you know what a certified midwife is and what they can do for you, it is time to learn about the benefits of choosing to utilize a midwife. Stay tuned for our next blog to learn more!